150 S Los Robles Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101
What Are Corrupt Files?
Corrupt files can also be caused by:
- Physical damage
- Power outage
- Power surge
- Updating errors (programs, drivers, etc.)
- Computer crash
- App crashes
- Multiple files being allocated to the same space in memory
Error messages for corrupt files are unpredictable and can happen to anyone at any given moment, without warning. So it’s essential to understand how to recover corrupt files. As we mentioned, we are going to share a few different methods, so you can try various fixes to recover your file.
- Type cmd in the taskbar search box
- Select Run as administrator
- Enter the following command and press Enter:
chkdsk X: /f (be sure to replace X with the disk letter you want to check and fix)
- Wait for the system tool to finish running (if it detects a problem, it will fix it; if it does not, move on to one of the other methods).
- Click file> Open > Browse and then go to the location or folder where the document (Word), workbook (Excel), or presentation (PowerPoint) is stored. Don’t try to open the file from the Recent section, as this won’t go into the Open dialog box.
- Click the file you want, then click the arrow next to Open, and click Open and Repair.
You can try to convert your file into a different format and open it from a different program. You may have to download a file converter application online. For example, open a corrupted Excel file with a PDF app (such as Adobe) to launch a conversion utility. In some cases, this simple file conversion may repair the corrupt file.
Suppose you want to avoid downloading other programs that may not be effective. In that case, you can try to recover the corrupt file using data recovery software, such as iolo’s Search and Recover.
Once you download the software, the entire process is quick and easy, and you can recover lost files in no more than a couple of clicks.