Viruses are pesky little things and frustrating to deal with, so knowing how to remove a virus is important. Not only do they affect the performance and functionality of your computer, but hackers can also use them to steal personal information and data for fraudulent purposes.
So, the question is: how can you remove a virus from your device, namely your computer?
In this blog, we’ll tell you everything that you need to know about how to remove a virus! But before we jump into it, let’s first start with defining what a virus is.
What is a Virus?
A computer virus, true to its name, is a form of malicious software (malware) that is designed to spread and replicate itself onto other hosts, specifically files and programs. Once attached to a host, its malicious code can be executed. This means that as soon as you launch that program or open that file, the virus will infect your computer.
This leaves your computer vulnerable to a wide range of virus attacks, which can include:
- Theft of personal data and information such as passwords, usernames, and email addresses
- File corruption – inability to open files
- Email spam
- Damage to hard drive
- Data erasure
- And more…
Computer viruses can spread in a number of different ways, such as through:
- Unverified links
- Email attachments
- Internet downloads
- Fake software installations
- Pop-up ads
- Fake websites
As a result, it’s essential that you take the necessary precautions when using your computer (this will be explored later!).
Types of Viruses
As technology evolves, so do hackers’ creations of malware, including viruses. New virus variants continue to emerge, making it challenging to keep up with the range of viruses that could infect your computer.
Here are common viruses to be aware of:
- Boot sector – damages or controls the boot sector on the computer drive, usually spread via USB drives
- Browser hijacker – alters browser settings, such as homepage URL, favorite sites, and can even redirect you to a malicious website
- Directory – changes file or folder location when attempting to open them
- Direct action – attacks when a seemingly harmless (yet infected) file is launched
- Resident – resides in the computer memory and sits dormant until user performs an action
- Overwrite – erases and replaces content, usually found in files
How to Tell If You Have a Virus
Sometimes, you might not even realize that a virus has infiltrated your computer before it’s too late. Several telltale signs and symptoms that could mean that your computer is infected with a virus are:
- Computer is taking longer to open programs and load screens
- Computer fails to restart or shut down
- Battery drains quickly
- Files and/or folders randomly go missing or are moved
- Random pop-ups
- Homepage changes – new icons, different toolbars, etc.
- Unknown programs installed on computer
- Emails sent from your account
- Frequent blue screen of death or freezing
If you notice the above with your computer, then it might be a sign that your computer has been corrupted with a virus. This leads us to our next section!
How to Remove Virus from Computer
What you need to know about how to remove viruses from computers is this: it can take a lot of effort (if you attempt it manually)!
This means that if you have the time, patience, and determination, then it is possible. If you don’t, then there’s no need to worry – we’ve got a simple solution for you: antivirus programs.
There are methods for removing viruses without antivirus software, but it’s uncertain how effective they are. In some cases, you might simply be wasting your time. However, they’re worth a try if you are desperate to get rid of the virus!
- Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete
- Select any unfamiliar processing programs on the Processes tab (check online if you’re unsure)
- Click End Task to stop the potential virus from spreading
Disable Unknown Programs from Startup
- Open Task Manager
- Click on the Startup tab
- Select any strange programs with unknown manufacturers
- Click Disable to prevent them from running as soon as your computer turns on
Reboot in Safe Mode
- Restart your computer
- When the Sign-in screen appears, hold down the Shift key
- Click the Power icon on the bottom right and select Restart
- Once it restarts, you’ll have several options – choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart
If the virus persists even after trying these methods, then an antivirus software, such as one from iolo, might be the best option left.
iolo's AntiVirus Solutions
Knowing how to remove a virus from your computer yourself can be complicated unless you’ve got some time on your hands, which is why we recommend investing in antivirus solutions, such as our antivirus products at iolo.
iolo’s antivirus solutions, like our System Shield, offer an easy way for computer users to eliminate existing viruses and prevent future ones on their devices. With a simple scan, System Shield can identify and permanently remove viruses in an instant.
System Shield continues to protect your computer against viruses, providing real-time threat protection that doesn’t hinder your computer’s performance. If you’re wondering how to remove a virus, an antivirus program like System Shield can get the job done.
Benefits of iolo's AntiVirus Solutions
In fact, here are the benefits of investing in an antivirus program like System Shield:
- 100% virus detection and protection
- Near-zero resource usage
- Recognizes new and unclassified virus variants
- Detects newest threats via advanced artificial intelligence
- Permanently nullifies threats in real-time, without interruption to the system
- Identifies and removes existing viruses
iolo's AntiVirus Support
https://www.iolo.com/products/iolo-premium-services/Aside from our collection of antivirus solutions, we also offer 24/7 LiveTech – around-the-clock virus removal support, as well as free product support when you purchase one of our antivirus products.
While the iolo platform should be easy to use, if you encounter any problems with the software, the iolo product support team is on hand to assist. If you’re struggling with various computer issues, our expert team at LiveTech can assist with diagnosing the root problem, virus or not, and help you through the removal process.
With our excellent virus support, we’ve got you covered when it comes to removing viruses!
How to Prevent a Virus Infection on Computer
Instead of asking the question, “How to remove a virus from computer?”, you should also be thinking about how you can prevent viruses from infiltrating your computer.
Knowing what to do should your computer be infected is great, but knowing how to prevent this from happening in the first place is even better.
Virus prevention is actually easier than it seems, as long as you are vigilant about it. Here are our top tips for avoiding computer viruses:
- Don’t click on random or suspicious links – think before you click!
- Don’t download programs from random websites
- Never open an email attachment from an unknown sender
- Regularly backup files
- Ignore pop-ups
- Avoid websites with suspicious domains (especially if the domain is not .com, .org, .net, .edu…)
- Install an antivirus software like iolo’s System Shield
- Ensure that your antivirus software is up-to-date
Remove and Prevent Viruses with iolo
If you believe that your computer has been infected with a virus, it’s imperative that you seek the help of antivirus software like iolo’s System Mechanic Pro bundle, which includes System Shield antivirus and antispyware. Not only can antivirus programs help with eradicating the virus from your computer, but they can also continuously protect your computer from future virus attacks.
As the scope of virus variants increases, it has become more important than ever to ensure that your computer is properly protected and provided with sufficient defense against viruses.
With virus tech support and exceptional antivirus solutions, iolo has got your back. Get in touch with us today to learn more about our products!